Some Tesla features require external attachments to function correctly, especially the DashCam and the Sentry Mode. The Sentry Mode allows remote monitoring of suspicious activities around your Tesla. If there is a threat and it’s severe, the cameras will start recording, the alarm will go off, and you will be alerted via the app. The DashCam is a feature that allows Tesla owners to record footage of activities around their car at no additional cost. The DashCam uses Autopilot cameras to capture the videos. These videos have been very helpful in solving thefts, accidents, and other frauds.
Top 5 External Hard Drives for Tesla
The DashCam requires an external USB as a means of storage. However, not every USB is compatible with Tesla. There are special external storages that work flawlessly with the DashCam. I have compiled a list of the top five best external hard drives that can be used with Tesla.
WD 512GB My Passport SSD Portable Storage
The WD 512GB My Passport SSD Portable Storage is a solid-state storage device made by Western Digital. It comes with USB type C, USB 3.1, USB 3.0 and USB 2.0. Its read speed is 540MB per second. This rapid read/write speed is good for your DashCam. Also, with the high storage space, you won’t be worried about space. Other features that make the WD suitable for Tesla include:
- Password protection and hardware encryption. This means that your DashCam videos will be protected from unauthorized access.
- Automatic Backup.
- Trusted drive with WD reliability.
The WD is compatible with all PCs and can be found on Amazon and other online retail shops. It sells for about $115 on Amazon.
Samsung T7 Portable SSD 500GB
The Samsung T7 Portable SSD 500GB is another excellent option to use for your Tesla DashCam. It has 500GB of SSD storage, enabling you to record for a long time before needing to delete videos. The Samsung T7 comes with USB 3.2, USB type C. Some of its features include:
- The Samsung T7 SSD is fast. It has a read speed of 1050MB per second and a write speed of 1000MB per second. This is more than nine times the writing speed of external hard drives.
- The Samsung T7 is built to be robust and shock-resistant and can survive falls of up to 6 feet.
- The Samsung T7 has an advanced heat control system, which is good since the SSD drive will be used in an environment with varying temperatures.
The Samsung T7 is compatible with PCs. Its price ranges from $89 to $100. On Amazon, you can get it for $90.
ScanDisk 500GB Extreme Pro Portable External SSD
ScanDisk is a company that has experience in the manufacture of solid-state drives. Its 500GB Extreme Pro Portable External SSD is reliable and compatible with Tesla. It has a sleek design and comes with USB 3.1 for fast data transfer. Its writing speed is up to 1050MB per second. Some of its features include:
- The ScanDisk 500GB Pro External SSD is IP55 rated for dust and water. Its aluminum structure serves as protection against falls and doubles as a cooling mechanism for the heat generated during the SSD operation.
- The ScanDisk 500GB is lightweight and can fit well in a pocket. This feature will enable you to move around with your drive easily.
G – Drive Mobile SSD
The G – Drive Mobile SSD is another product by Western Digital (WD) that works flawlessly with Tesla’s DashCam. It is rugged, with IP67 water and dust resistance. It also has 3-meter drop protection. This is desirable since you will be moving a lot with the SSD and the chances of falling are high. Some of the features of the G – Drive Mobile SSD include:
- 1000 lb crushproof. If you mistakenly match your G – Drive with your foot, you won’t be worried. It can resist your weight.
- Transfer speeds up to 560MB per second.
- The G – Drive comes with USB-C and USB 3.1 Gen 2 interface. This makes it compatible with all laptops.
Samsung T5 Portable SSD
Samsung must feel proud that their products have made it twice on this list! Well, when it comes to storage, Samsung aces it. Its T5 Portable SSD is ultra-fast, with transfer speeds up to 540MB per second. Its size and rapid writing speeds make it ideal for Tesla’s continuous storage. Its features include:
- The Samsung T5 Portable SSD comes with a USB 3.1 Gen 2 structure. This makes it compatible with older PCs, making it easy to transfer footage from your storage device to your laptop for viewing. There is also a Type-C USB port integrated with the SSD.
- The Samsung SSD is compact and can fit in the palm of your hand. It’s a pocket storage device that offers significant storage space at a low price. It is built to last and survive constant use.
You now know the top five external hard drives to buy for your Tesla. It is always good to buy those with large storage, from 500GB and above to minimize the number of times you will have to transfer or delete footage; however, hard drives with storage at 256GB will also work well. So go on and enjoy your Tesla!